[PW] Two Questions About the Biography of Algernon Blackwood

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Mon Feb 19 15:15:31 PST 2018

Mike Ashley reports back that:

(1) He again thanks Katherine Harper for her research on the DARTMOOR
performances, which more and more look like the answer to Blackwood's
(misremembered ?) JIM THE PENMAN anecdote.  Blackwood said that
Gilmour was angry at him and in one performance where they were "stage
fighting" (he as warder, Gilmour as convict) felt that Gilmous tried
to seriously injure him in reality -- just in case anyone runs across
a review that suggests that.

and

(2) By an improbable stroke of luck in his own researches, he believes
he has now solved the "Mrs. J." question, so further research is
probably not indicated -- though if anyone has worked on the problem
and found any leads, all knowledge is always welcome.

Mike very much appreciates the help, as do I.

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu