[PW] ? Rothschild Quote (Quotation Query #795)

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 17 16:28:35 PST 2018

On 17 Feb 2018 at 15:27, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> The financial saying "Buy when the blood is running in the streets" or
> "Buy when blood is running in the streets" or variants thereof is
> often attributed to "Rothschild" or "Baron Rothschild."  Can anyone
> help me to determine which Rothschild is being attributed to here?  I
> realize that there may be no definite answer to this question, but I
> would welcome any insights as to which Rothschild is the most likely
> or most common referent?

That would be Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836), 1st Baron Rothschild (a British title).

Half of the entry for him in Wikipedia is devoted to the improbable "Waterloo legend," wherein
he is alleged to have made a fortune from early intelligence on the outcome of the battle, and
is supposed to have explained it with the infamous quote.  It is now traced to an 1846
anti-semitic pamphlet.

Fact/Myth also says he probably did not say that, but that it is consistent with his financial
strategy:

http://factmyth.com/factoids/baron-rothschild-made-a-fortune-on-waterloo-and-said-the-blood
-on-the-streets-quote/

The quote does not appear in any of the quotation books I own, further reinforcing the idea
that it is spurious.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)