[PW] nautical expression for gaining an advantage

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Feb 14 07:59:07 PST 2018

I think you might want "having the weather ga(u)ge".  In the days of
fighting sail, this referred to being upwind of an opponent, which meant
you could reach him but he could not (easily) reach you, tacking with
square sails being difficult.  The term is archaic except among historical
novelists and enthusiasts; the concept is still relevant in racing, but not
usually called by that name.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_gage for details.