[PW] nautical expression for gaining an advantage

Petter Naess petter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 08:25:08 PST 2018

Many thanks! This is for a speech in honor of an admiral, who would
appreciate "having the weather gauge," but I think it will be too obscure
for the audience of landlubbers (and non-native English speakers).
However, you've put me on the right track - "upwind" will work perfectly
when I add some context, very helpful! Thank you!
Best,
Petter Næss

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 4:59 PM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> I think you might want "having the weather ga(u)ge".  In the days of
> fighting sail, this referred to being upwind of an opponent, which meant
> you could reach him but he could not (easily) reach you, tacking with
> square sails being difficult.  The term is archaic except among historical
> novelists and enthusiasts; the concept is still relevant in racing, but not
> usually called by that name.
>
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_gage for details.
>

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Petter Naess <petter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking urgently for a nautical expression that could mean "get a
> head
> > start on" "get a leg up on" or some other expression that conveys
> obtaining
> > an advantage over a competitor or opponent. I need this within the next
> 12
> > hours or so, and have consulted several lists of nautical expressions,
> but
> > nothing so far...any sailors out there who might have a suggestion?
> Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Petter Næss
> > Kviståsveien 50