[PW] Older children's book query

Burton, Donna burtond at union.edu
Mon Feb 5 08:31:29 PST 2018

Sounds like this might be The Perfect Zoo by Eleanor Farjeon. It's for sale
on ebay (*https://tinyurl.com/yb4nqb57 <https://tinyurl.com/yb4nqb57>) *and
includes the following description:

When Uncle Ben walked into the children's bedroom to try and quieten them,
they all threw their toys at him, and Peter flung Nimbo, the old blue
clown, into the coal-cuttle.
"You have hurt your toys," said Uncle Ben, "you have mad your clown ill,
you won't go to bed, and you have turned your home int a Perfect Zoo." Then
he counted *One-Two-Three* to give the kiddies a last chance of getting
into bed, but they would not obey - and suddenly they found themselves
changed into their own toys and condemned to remain so until they had found
the Green-Headed Beetle whose toasted cheese alone could make poor Nimbo
well. Off went Peter (now a teddy bear), Betty (now a fluffy terrier), and
Pat (now a plush bulldog), and ran into all manner of thrilling and
delightful adventures with the Leggy Rabbit, the monkey, the duck, and many
other acquaintances, until they found the Green-Headed Beetle - sitting in
front of their own nursery fire at home, toasting cheese! So they managed
to heal Nimbo and get into their own skins - and went straight to bed!

First published in 1929, this is the 1947 edition.

Donna Burton
Reference Librarian
Schaffer Library
burtond at union.edu