[PW] Need help finding source of or verifying W.E.B. du Bois quotation

Mary Wilkes T. mwilkest at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 09:39:46 PDT 2017

Hi folks!

Our city HR person has asked help in finding the source of this
quotation by W.E.B. du Bois.
It's everywhere without citation on the Internet.

"There is in this world no such force as the force of a person
determined to rise.  The human soul cannot be permanently chained." -
W.E.B. Dubois.

Several of us have spent time on it, and have discovered a few
resources we can access giving sources. We have found it cited as
being from a speech Du Bois gave titled "Race Prejudice" (delivered on
March 5, 1910), but when we found the text of that speech
(http://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/mums312-b196-i049) it did
not include these lines. We also found it cited several times as
coming from the book Souls of Black Folk, but doing searches of
full-text documents of that work did not find this quote either. We've
checked a number of quotation books.

Anyone run into this quote before? Or have suggestions of what we can try next?

Thanks in advance,

mary

--
Mary Wilkes Towner