[PW] Request Forbes database lookup for Einstein attributed quip about marriage

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:53:51 PST 2017

Here is a follow-up with detailed citations. Below is an excerpt from
a 1932 collection of plays. (I accessed a 1975 facsimile reprint from
Arno Press.) The play Cynara is given a 1930 copyright date. (Thanks
to Janice Keller for pointing to this play.)

[ref] 1932, The Best Plays of 1931-32 and the Year Book of the Drama
in America, Edited by Burns Mantle, Section: Cynara: A Drama in
Prologue, Three Acts and an Epilogue by H. M. Harwood and R.
Gore-Browne, (Adapted from novel "An Imperfect Lover" by R.
Gore-Browne), Start Page 335, Quote Page 358, Dodd, Mead and Company,
New York. (Reprint Edition in 1975: Arno Press: A New York Times
Company, New York) (Verified with hard copy)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
TRING—Exactly! That's the trouble about marriage. Women always hope
it's going to change the husband. Men always hope it won't change
their wives—and both are disappointed! (He gets up.) Never if you can
help it be a woman's first lover—unless, of course, you've got the
explorer's temperament. As for your little trouble—get out of it,
quick! It's not your line of country.

JIM—Yes, but how?
[End excerpt]

Here is a thematic match in 1972:

[ref] 1972 March 22, Kenosha News, Mirror of Your Mind by John Conwell
(Syndicated), Quote Page 17, Column 5, Kenosha, Wisconsin.
(NewspaperArchive)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Does marriage change a person?

Only a woman apparently. At least that seems to be an inescapable fact
of married life. A man marries the girl of his dreams and then wonders
all his life what ever happened to that girl he knew before she became
his bride. A woman marries a man who doesn’t quite fit the image of
the Prince Charming she had dreamed of, and then worries all her
married life why he is still the same imperfect person he was in their
courting days.
[End excerpt]

Below is the ascription to Einstein given by Mort Sahl during a comedy
routine in New York City in 1982.

[ref] 1982 March 29, Forbes, Section: Fact and Comment by Malcolm S.
Forbes, America's Preeminent Satirist - Mort Sahl, Quote Page 21,
Forbes Inc. New York. (Verified with hard copy)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
The other evening he was appearing at one of Manhattan's rarities, a
supper club with good food, service and setting—Marty's, run by the
man who made Marty's Bum Steer into one of the city's outstanding
steak houses.

Some samples from that evening's Sahl sorties: "Einstein said that
women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they
will not. So each is inevitably disappointed. The Pope has said, if
you look at a woman licentiously, including your wife, it is a sin. As
well as a miracle."
[End excerpt]

Garson