[PW] Rock in Washington state deliver by Maine Governor?

Robert trident37 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 15 15:25:09 PST 2017

Hi All!

This has just be driving crazy.

In the 1980’s I was stationed in Bangor Washington. I remember driving around and being in this
town that reminded me of Maine (I’m from Boston) and, low and behold, cam across this large
rock memorial, with a plaque embedded in it, saying the rock was a gift, brought by the governor of
Maine (I believe it was in the 50’s - 1957?) to commemorate something or other?

At first I thought it may have been in Machias Washington, founded by a settler from Maine but, in looking
at Machias on the map, I don’t believe I ever made it to that area, North of Seattle. In my head, I’ve always
thought it was a town on the Sound, possibly on the Hood Canal going up to Port Townsend area? I seem
to recall reading the plaque, walking around this little park and looking down, steeply down, to the Sound.

Just looking to scratch this itch!  If anybody knows where I saw it - or if I imagined it - I’d love to know :)

Be cool to see a pic of it too.

Thank you all!
Rob