[PW] ? Oscar Wilde Quote (Quotation Query #756)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 01:02:18 PST 2017

Back in November the saying in the subject line was discussed on this
mailing list. Now I've created an entry for the Quote Investigator
website:

Work is the Curse of the Drinking Classes
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/01/12/drinking/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Fred Shapiro whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Shapiro is the editor of "The
Yale Book of Quotations" which contains the key 1916 ascription to
Oscar Wilde. Special thanks to top researchers S. M. Colowick and
Stephen Goranson who located valuable citations in 1909, 1911, and
1915. Thanks also to discussant Laurence Horn.
[End acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome
Garson