[PW] Short story: woman talking to deceased husband

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:43:27 PDT 2016

Below is an excerpt from Erma Bombeck's chapter titled "Rose" that
seems to fit the end of the story you described.

Year: 1984 (Copyright 1983)
Book Title: Motherhood, the Second Oldest Profession
Author: Erma Bombeck
Publisher: Dell, New York
Chapter 37: Rose
Start Page 151, Quote Page 156

[Begin excerpt]
Out of the corner of her eye. Rose noticed another resident of the
home who had dropped by. "Wait a minute, Seymour, there's someone
here."

Her visitor said, "You're talking to Seymour? My husband died two
years ago and talks about a Seymour all the time. Does he play golf?
What's his handicap?"
[End excerpt]

I looked in Bombeck's "Motherhood" based on the comment by Todd Mason
who cited Fred Helenius.

Garson