[PW] Foreign opinions of levels of learning in 18th-19th century America?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Feb 24 18:24:26 PST 2016

Kevin O'Kelly scripsit:

> And to advance into the nineteenth century, I know America 1820-1860 was
> the heyday of the founding of membership libraries. I would like to know if
> there's any evidence of foreigners remarking on their impact.

Toqueville doesn't speak of libraries, but he does mention that Americans
are great readers, and that readers are to be found in all classes.
See chapters 13 and 14 of part 2 of _Democracy in America_.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Take two turkeys, one goose, four cabbages, but no duck, and mix them
together. After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life.
        --Groucho