[PW] Historical time zones in the US

John Sleasman johnsleasman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:31:41 PDT 2016

I have no expertise (other than knowing its complex) in the state
assignment of different counties to the next time zone for the
convenience of residents, or exemption from DST, but as a railroad buff,
let me add an additional complication.

Prior to the Standard Time Act of 1918, there were no official
government boundaries for time zones. Standard time and zones were
mostly set by railroads in 1883 and after, often at junction points
where transfers were made from one company to another, or crews were
changed. Cities might not agree with the railroad, and set their clocks
differently, but mostly did, as people missed trains if they weren't
following the same time as the depot. If you look at that 1913 map,
you'll find that there are often lines - actually, more varied than
shows at that scale - that bounce back and forth around the states, with
the central zone reaching the Atlantic in Georgia, and the pacific zone
reaching into Texas, mostly for the convenience of the Southern and
Southern Pacific railroads to simplify their operations.

I have an old Official Guide of the Railways that shows the Southern
having three lines out of a common station (with the N&W) at Bristol.
The line going west to Knoxville and Chattanooga operates on central
zone time, as expected. The line west to St. Charles VA also operates on
central time. But the line east to Mountain City TN operates on eastern
zone. Hard to tell without exhaustive research, but I might hazard a
rough guess that was indicative of the surrounding territory, and that
Bristol VA could have operated on eastern time and Bristol TN on central
in that era. They would be far from the only border pair that did so.
Weirder things happened, which was one of the reasons that in additional
to establishing DST, the 1918 act set up standard boundaries and gave
control over zones to the government(s).

The Standard Time Act (Calder Act) was signed by President Wilson on
March 19,1918, setting up both the zones and DST. You might check local
sources around that date to see if they note any comments about
standardization and/or boundary changes. Mandatory observance of DST
only lasted one year, that provision being repealed after the end of WWI.