[PW] again, query about comment on English criminal law

Solomons1pal at aol.com Solomons1pal at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 10:21:19 PDT 2016

Colleagues,

   This is a query I've  posted before with no responses; I now post it
again because new people may have  joined Wombats since my last posting, and
old Wombats may have learned something  they didn't know earlier.  So pace
Todd Mills, I repeat  myself:

   Years ago, a well-known writer on the history of  criminal law said
something to this effect:  "The trouble with English  criminal law is that it
was designed for use by a bobby in an English  village."  (This is a
paraphrase, not an exact quote.)  I sent private  messages to several leading legal
historians and criminologists asking for help,  but none could tell me who
the writer was.  One of them liked the  near-quote, and thanked me for calling
it to his attention!

   So I now post the query again,  hoping...

                                    Mark