[PW] photographs of black news-makers

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Wed Aug 10 10:24:12 PDT 2016

This is purely for my own research, so, there's no hurry.  I am working
on a conference paper and finding it very difficult to locate
photographs of certain black news-makers from the 1920s-1930s. The news
industry was segregated, sad to say, and black reporters generally
worked for the black press; but many of those papers are now defunct, or
under new ownership, and their photo files have either vanished or were
never preserved. I can easily find the photos on microfilm, but they are
usually of very poor quality and would not look good in a presentation.

I especially need some photos that appeared in the Chicago Defender &
Pittsburgh Courier in the mid-to-late 1930s, but neither newspaper has
saved the originals; nor does the Library of Congress or the Chicago
Public Library own copies-- I've checked (both online, and by calling
their archivists). Any ideas about whether a repository for news photos
from the black newspapers and magazines exists anywhere? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies
Lesley University, Cambridge MA