[PW] Martian Manhunter

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 11:28:45 PDT 2015

Hi All--
I'm old enough not to be embarassed about this request. ;-)  I buy a few
comics from Comixology; naturally they send me ads.  Today, I got one for
the newest incarnation of Martian Manhunter.

I hadn't seen any ads for it before.  I saw the title and thought, "That
seems familiar."  I read the summary, saw that his name is "J'onn J'onzz,"
and thought, "That seems REALLY familiar."

I checked the Wiki entry, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Manhunter,
and learned that the first incarnation of the comics debuted in 1955, at
which time I would have been 8.  And buying comic books heavily.  (When
regular comics were a dime, and extra giant ones 25 cents.)  When I was
nine, my mother decided they were corrupting my young brain and threw them
all away.  Hundreds of them.  No, I'm not bitter--but I digress.

The trouble is that none of the pictures from the Silver Age comics I have
seen look the slightest bit familiar.  But I am 100% certain that I
encountered both names, Martian Manhunter and J'onn J'onzz, in my childhood.

My question is this:  did these comics have some root in early Science
Fiction?  By age 8, I was already a voracious reader of the stuff (and
remained so for the next quarter-century).  The whole Martian Manhunter
shtick strikes me as straight out of 20s and 30s SF.  But of course, memory
is notoriously unreliable. ...

Dennis?  Anyone?  Can you shed some light?

Metta,
Ivan
--
Ivan Van Laningham