[PW] 1968 Press Conference by Former President Eisenhower

Bill Davis wmadavis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:30:06 PDT 2015

The Watertown (NY) Daily News picked up a December 2, 1965 article by
Richard L. Coe of The Washington Post, describing disputes over the
inaccurate 1965 Warner Brothers movie and an "approved" script for a
movie that would be filmed by Columbia under the title: "16th of
December:  The Battle of the Bulge" (which was apparently never
made).   The script was co-written by John Eisenhower.  It said that
some of the disputes were resolved by Warner agreeing not to use the
names of many of the real-life Generals in the film, and that the
frosty relationship between Eisenhower and Montgomery had thawed a
bit in their mutual opposition of the film.  Another article said the
approved film would have starred Van Heflin as Eisenhower, David
Niven as Montgomery, and John Wayne as Patton.

What it seems to come down to was that there was an epic movie in the
works, with cooperation of many of the principals and the Defense
Department, with a script co-written by Eisenhower's son, and Warner
Brothers stomped on everybody's toes when they registered the title
"The Battle of the Bulge" and made their own crappy film that didn't
have much to do with the actual events of the Battle.   Henry Fonda
turned over some barrels of gasoline and won the war.

A December 9 1965 AP  item mentioned the "approved" script
recalling  the conflicts between Eisenhower and Montgomery and at the
end says that Eisenhower was recovering from a heart attack and
couldn't be reached for comment.

Bill Davis