[PW] Ogden Nash's Song of the Open Road: Indeed/Perhaps?

sakishler at aol.com sakishler at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 11:59:11 PDT 2015

As part of celebrating National Poetry Month Today, I posted this poem today on Facebook reading this:

"I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree
Pehaps unless the billboards fall
I'll never see a tree at all. "

A friend commented, saying the "perhaps" was a misquote, and the poem should read:

"I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree
Indeed, unless the billboards fall
I'll never see a tree at all."

I believe my friend is correct that this is how the poem is published in 1940's collection the "Face is Familiar." However, I also see that the poem was also published ealier in 1933's "Happy Days,"  which I don't have access to right now. I was wondering - can anyone on this list confirm whether the poem contained the word "indeed" or "perhaps" in that publication? If "perhaps" is a misquote, it does get misquoted awfully frequently.

Thanks!

Sarah