[PW] : Alexander Godin

Shari Haber shaber at socallibraries.org
Tue Feb 16 15:57:30 PST 2010

>From "The Best American Short Stories of the Century," ed. by John Updike
and Katrina Kenison, Godin was born in the Ukraine, roughly in 1909. He came
to New York in 1922, where he worked as a bottler in a chemical plant while
writing the novel, "On the Threshold." Then it goes on to say that there is
nothing more known about him!

FWIW, it appears that "Godin" was a pseudonym: G Katz said...
Alexander Godin aka Joseph Katz was my grandfather. He wrote other short
stories in the '30s that were published in obscure literary journals. He
spent time at Yaddo where he became friends with John Cheever. Much of his
work was based on his personal experience. He did come to America from the
Ukraine. Unfortunately, he was a paranoid schizophrenic who was unable to
write after his disease progressed.

Edward J. Obrien, in his "Best Short Stories" does ID Godin as "Joseph
Katz."

Maybe the lack of photos has to do with his schizophrenia.

Shari Haber
SCLC Reference Center
shaber at socallibraries.org