[PW] Eric Hoffer video or film?

Bill Davis wmadavis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 14:39:07 PDT 2009

Many were introduced to Hoffer through two interviews by Eric
Sevareid of CBS.   I found this account online:

"CBS-TV interviewer Eric Sevaried visited him in San Francisco in May
1967. At the Fairmont Hotel bar, despite an argument, they understood
and appreciated each other. After the meeting, Hoffer, nervous about
the interview, called the Osbornes to say that everything would be
all right.   The next morning, Eric Sevareid wrote, we "ran two
cameras on him for two and a half hours while he talked, sweated,
gulped water, and talked.... I flew back to Washington absolutely
certain that we had in those cans the greatest film monologue I had
ever had anything to do with in all my years in television."    Eric
Sevareid threatened his New York bosses with mayhem if they shortened
the program or ran it in other than prime time. Of the broadcast on
September 19, 1967, repeated on November 14, 1967, Sevareid wrote,
"The switchboards at virtually every CBS station carrying the
broadcast lit up like a Christmas tree.... Hoffer made millions of
confused and troubled Americans feel very much better about their
country."   In the Sevareid interview, Hoffer praised President
Lyndon Johnson, then beleaguered with the war in Vietnam. Johnson
quoted Hoffer in a speech. Within two weeks of the CBS interview,
Hoffer and Johnson were photographed chatting on the White House
lawn. A scheduled 5-minute meeting stretched into 55 minutes."

There was also a reference to another interview by Sevareid, in 1969.

You might see if you can get a video from CBS or  from the Hoffer
Project, which has a site here:    http://www.hofferproject.org/home.html

Bill Davis